|Picture from misrecetasfavoritas2.blogspot.com|
As I promised, here I brought a easy to make, dark, heavy and delicious Christmas Cake from my second home, Trinidad & Tobago for those who does not, Trinidad & Tobago is a twin island situated in the Caribbean very close to Venezuela, my home country… well I did not move to far from my family. But it is incredible how history and events have been different in both countries, and this has affected the way how people cook and the flavours.
- On the day before or a few days before baking cake combine prunes, raisins, currants, sultanas, mixed peel, cherries, almonds, cherry brandy and rum.
- Line three 8″ round cake pans with double layers of wax paper.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time: add lime peel and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder and cinnamon, fold into creamed mixture gradually.
- Add fruit and enough browning to give desired colour: stir well.
- Put in lined baking pans 3/4 full and bake in a preheated oven at 250 F for first hour: reduce heat to 200 F – 225 F for remaining 1-1/2 hours or until tester comes out clear.
- Pick hot cake and soak with the mixture of rum, cherry brandy and sherry. Cover and set aside. As alcohol soaks in pour more and continue to do so for 12 hours.
N.B. Fruit could also be soaked many month before use.
Serving Size (132 g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories from fat 122
- Decorate you cake free style with poinsetias flower natural or artificial, peeled almonds, cherries red and green.
- Place the cake on a white cake base.
- Make the cakes in a squere or rectangular pan, cut the cake like mini cakes, decorate the cake as it was mentioned before,rap them in plastic and place the decorated cakes in decorated boxes or tin. It is a beautiful gift for the holiday.
|Photo from http://www.jigjamandlimecordial.com/|
See you in our new post.