The Pan de Jamon (Ham Bread) is part of the traditional Venezuelan Christmas Menu, in Venezuela, people make their own Pan de Jamon, but you can also find a good quality Pan de Jamon in the bakery, and some people make this bread at home to sell to their friends or neighbors.
The Pan de Jamon (Ham Bread) is a soft bread filled with jam and /or bacon, raisins, olives (stuffed with sweet pepper).
Together with the hallaca, the Pan de Jamon represent Christmas, when you see a Pan de Jamon out of the season in somebody house it is like they bring you the feeling of Christmas.
This recipe is not complicate, take a litle bit of time but it is worthy, if you now how to make bread, it will be much easier for you, but do not miss to try this bread. Out of the Christmas season, you can make small version of this bread and carry it to work for breakfast … and it is simple delicious… I hope you enjoy it.
(3 breads, 24 to 30 portions altogether)
1 spoonful of leavening (yeast);
1/2 cup warm water ;
1 teaspoon of sugar ;
1-1/2 cup of milk at room temperature;
1 kilo of flour;
5 spoonfuls (75 grams) of margarine;
6 spoonfuls, (90 grams) of butter;
1- 3/4 teaspoon of salt ;
6 spoonfuls, (100 grams) of sugar;
1 kilo of cooked, ground ham chopped, you can use slices of ham too;
3/4 cup of raisins;
30 olives medians (seedless)- chopped;
1 spoonful of butter;
2 egg yellows;
2 spoonfuls of water;
1/8 teaspoon of salt .
1. In a bowl put the leavening (yeast), the warm water and the teaspoon of sugar. Mix them slowly, cover the bowl with a cloth and let rest it in a warm place until it rises, about 20 minutes
2 In a big bowl pour the milk and add the mixture from the step 1. Mix together. Add 1/2 kilo of flour and is mixed with your fingers. It is put in a site without airflows, cover it with a cloth and it is let rest until rising, 4 hours.
3. In the same bowl add the of the flour, mixing it with the fingers, if the mixture is very dry, adds 2 spoonfuls of cold milk. Cover it with a cloth and one puts in the refrigerator by 6 to 8 hours or until the following day.
4. Remove the mix from the refrigerator, put it on a table, and add margarine, butter, the salt, the sugar and the eggs one by one, knead the mix until everything is all together. In the end, when the mix is well united, bat rising and dropping repeatedly from the stop until all the mix is come off of the table and the hands, around 50 times.
5. Divide the mix in three equal parts to make breads.
6. Sprinkle with flour the table and extend each part of the mix with a roller pin, extends until being of 1/2 to 1 centimeter of thickness and in rectangular form. Cut it with a nife to get the shape.
7. Divide the ham, olive and risins in three parts, add to the extended mix at 2 or 3 centimeters of the edges.
8. Roll the mix with all the stuff inside, close the ends of each bread. Place them in a metal tray, coer the metal tray with a very thin layer of butter. Cover the bread with a cloth for 2 hours, without airflows.
9. Meanwhile preheat the oven at 400 degrees.
10. Put the tray in the oven for 15 minutes, brush the the bread with a mixture of 2 beaten egg yellows with 2 spoonfuls of water and 1/8 teaspoon of salt and continue baking for 5 minutes more until being gilded superficially. Remove them from the oven and put them on a grill to cool.
Repeat the baking process for the other 2 breads.
See you in our new post.