One of the most popular Trini-Indian dishes is the curried Channa with potato. You can find Channa with potato in Roti, Doubles, together with Curried Duck, Goat, Beef or Chicken.
1 cup Channa (chick peas) soaked overnight
2 tbsp. cooking oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. curry powder
1-1/4 cups water
8 oz. potato, cubed or thinly sliced
1 tsp. salt
black pepper or hot pepper to taste
- Boil soaked Channa in unsalted water until tender. Drain.
- Heat oil in heavy pot, add onion and garlic and saute for a few minutes.
- Mix curry powder with 1/4 cup water: add to oil and cook until thick, stirring continuously.
- Add potato and stir until coated with curry.
- Add 1 cup hot water, salt and pepper; cover and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add channa and stir well.
- Cook until water is reduced and mixture is tender and thick.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
See you in our new post.