I long for a Chicha, this delicious drink made with rice, milk and sugar, serve with crushed ice and topping with ground cinnamon and condensate milk, very refreshing and filling. I really miss this drink.
Back in Venezuela you can find “El Chichero” that is the way how we call the person who sell chicha. I remember when I was in the high school, this man coming to the school in his bike, a modified bike, with a big cooler, full of a thick paste made with rice, he used to pour ice and milk and shake it. I remember the line at the school gate of people waiting for their “chicha”… please put more condensate milk and cinnamon, we used to beg him. I almost see myself smiling after I got my chicha, so refreshing and sweet.
Now, well things have changed. Something that I admire about Venezuelan, is that they have taken their traditional food and drinks and they have upgrade the presentation and the way who is eating and serving. You still find at this time people who sell chicha in the bike with the big cooler, but in the cities you will find a more upgrade version of the “el chichero” like the franchise Juan El Chichero, and in the grocery you will find different brands promoting this very popular drink.
|Chicha by Juan El Chichero|
|Lacteos Los Andes|
Being away from home, there is only a way to get my delicious Chicha, I have to make it! nothing complicated, take some time but I will make sure to make enough for the week.
The only way to know who this drink taste without going to Venezuela is making the drink at home, I recommend this drink for children too, it is very nutritious.
Note: read your recipe at least twice before making the chicha to make sure you understand all the steps.
Venezuelan Chicha (Easy recipe)
2 cup white rice
7 cup water
1- 1/4 tsp. salt
1 can condensate milk (397 gr)
1-1/2 cup sugar
2 – 3 tsp. vanilla essence
- Soak the rice in water for at least 4 hours. You may skip this step if you cook the rice for longer time in a big pot adding more water than what was specified, for example 9 cups of water.
- Put the rice in a big pot with the 7 cups of water and the salt. Cook it until the rice is very soft. Do not let the water dry too much, add water if needed during cooking.
- Let the rice get cool (warm).
- Using your blender, blend the rice with water at medium speed, the condensate milk (keep some for topping), the vanilla essence, and the sugar.
- Do it in batched. I suggest to mix all the ingredients with some rice in the first batch. Pour it in a big bowl.
- Continue blending the rice adding water if necessary, make sure that the rice is very well blended (no lumpy) add the blended rice to to bowl. When you finish blending all the rice, stir all together in the bowl.
- Pour the chicha in a jar big enough to content the drink, put in the refrigerator.
- When ready to drink it, add ice in the glasses, pour the chicha and add ground cinnamon and condensate milk
It is very easy to make, delicious and your children will love it and the adult too. It is a very refreshing drink and you can drink it at any time.
See you in our new post.