|Typical Indian sweets|
Kurma, gulab jamoon and barfi are some of the most popular sweet dishes served in Divali time.
Trinidad is a multicultural island, and we all celebrate Divali regardless of the religion the everyone practice. We celebrate with the Indian community the victory of goodness over evil and light over darkness.
This celebration is very colorful and people decorate their houses with light, people dress the colors of devali and the women in particular enjoy the time wearing really bright color, shine and light, a lot of jewelery … it is just beautiful.
Devali is like Christmas for the Indus, people get together around a table full of good food, sweets and lights. In this post I brougt three recipes of ome of the most popular sweets for the season, I hope you enjoy it.
Happy Diwali to Everyone, Deepavali Valthukka!! Shubh Diwali!!!
|Typical women outfit to celebrate Devali, I just love it!!|
Yield: 300 sticks
2 lbs. all purpose flour.
200 gr. butter.
2 oz. fresh ginger, grated.
1 tsp. Cardamon (elychee), ground.
1 tsp. Cinnamon, graund.
1/2 tin. condensate milk.
4 fl. oz. evaporated milk.
3 fl. oz. water.
vegetable oil for frying.
16 fl. oz. water.
250 gr. granulated sugar.
- Combine flour, butter, ginger, cardamom and cinamon, rubbing to create a consistancy like fine bread crumbs.
- Combine all liquid ingredients. And add it to the mixture made in the step one (1) to make a soft dough, allow o rest for 20 minutes.
- Divide dough into two equal parts: roll dough 1/2 in. thick.
- Heat oil in an iron pot over medium heat.
- Cut dough into 3-in strips.
- Fry until golden brown , drain on absorbent paper and place in a large bowl.
Syrup: In a pot pour water and sugar to boil until mixture become slightly thick in consistancy. Pour over fried dough , turning continuosly until sugar crystalises.
This dish is commonly knowns as “Fat Kurma”, the trinidadian version of this sweet is a deep fried flour mixture drizzled with a sugar glaze. In autentic Indian cusine, the Gulab Jamoon is deep fryed milk dough soaked in heavenly sweet syrup.
Yield: 50 units
450 gr. white flour.
8 oz. butter.
450 gr. powdered milk.
1 tin condensed milk.
4 fl. oz. evaporated milk.
4 fl. oz. water.
1 tsp. cardamon (Elychee), ground.
1 tsp. cinnamon, ground.
2 tsp. fresh ginger, ground.
Vegetable oil for frying.
12 oz. icing sugar.
1/4 cup. warm water.
- In a large bowl mix flour, butter and powdered milk.
- In a separate bowl, mix condensed milk, evaporated milk, water and spices.
- Add the milk and spices mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Mix to stiff dough, cove with a damp cloth to keep dough fiirm and prevent craking.
- Heat oil in an iron pot.
- Brak dough into small pieces and form into almod shapes (3″ length and 2″ thickness)
- Fry over low heat until golden brown; rmove and drain on absorvent paper.
For sugar glaze:
Mix together icing sugar and water to a thick glaze. Dip the fried Gulab Jamoon into the glaze and layout on a baking sheeet, to dry.
Milk Barfi (Barfee)
Barfi is a very popular sweet in Trinidad in special for weddings and Divali. The main ingredients for theis sweet is milk and sugar topped with sweet cake sprinklers.
Yield: 2 dozen
16 oz. cream (tin).
500 gr. powdered milk.
450 ml. water.
250 gr. granulated sugar
1 tsp. fresh ginger, ground.
1 tsp. cardamom (elychee)
few drops of Rose Water.
100 gr. butter.
2 oz. cake sprinklers for garnish.
- Rub the cream into the powdered milk, to create a consistanncy of fine breadcrumbs.
- In a heavy sauce pot bring water to boil, sugar, ginger, cardamom and rose water.
- Allow sugar mixture to formlight syrup.
- In a large bowl, please the milk mixture and add the sugar mixture, turning constantly to avoid lumps. The mixture should form a ball not too soft and crumbly.
- Grease a flat square dish with butter.
- Using a spatula, spread mixture evenly, smooth the top and add sprinklers.
- It’s important to cut into squares before it completly cools.
Recipes from: Premchand Malloo, Malloo’s Catering Services, Trinidad & Tobago.
See you in our new post.